Sunday, July 11, 2010

Status update - Sunday night approaching second week of not working:

It's been a great weekend, topped off with seeing "Toy Story III" with the whole family after waking up from a mid-day nap. Oddly enough I don't recall too much beyond the day de jour, but I feel much more connected to everything, more a part of things.  Of course, I actually am, since Rob and the girls are in the middle of summer vacation themselves.

I've thought things through, and after meeting with the outplacement counselor, my pastor, and a few casual acquaintances, I've decided to dive completely in to the experience and have a genuine mid-life crisis.  My options are still somewhat limited:  I already have a red convertible, don't feel the need to trade in my husband or family, and can't affodt my own apartment anyway.  Besides, Rob has a job with benefits. So I've decided to explore major career reset.

I had coffee with an old friend, who was an editor for the Engineering list before her son was born 12 years ago.  Circumstances have tossed her into a role in the public school system's testing program.  We talked about the ways one's 'extracurricular' activities can turn into jobs.  That's what I'll examine in the next few months. 

I will get plenty of exposure to different choices since I am the master chairperson for the year of activities our church is planning as our 50th Anniversary celebration, starting this December with an evening of Christmas Caroling and the Blessing of Creches (Nativity Scenes).  January we are co-opting the church school's Science Fair, dedicating it to St. Albert who happily is the patron saint of Chemists (we plan to blow things up).  And we have the retired director of the city's Youth Theatre on the board, so we'll be staging Godspell, the original full musical, in March.

Of course, nothing much will happen until we return from The Trip.  I'll be blogging here about it, but my oldest daughter has started a family blog as well: rachelsfamilytravels.blogspot.com.  She'll have more pictures than I, but I will have more inspired writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment